Thursday, March 22, 2012

Venison Stew

From: Taste of Home


Ingredients:
2 Tbsp cooking oil
2 lbs venison stew meat
3 large onions, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 cups water
7 potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 lb carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup AP flour
1/4 cup cold water

Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Brown meat. Add onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper and water. Simmer, covered, 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until meat is tender. Add potatoes and carrots. Continues to cook until vegetables are tender, about 30-45 minutes. Mix flour and cold water; stir into stew. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add browning sauce if desired. Remove bay leaf.


What I did differently from the recipe:
Stephen dislikes onions, so I substituted onion powder instead of actual onions. Yes, the recipe actually says 1 tablespoon of salt. I used red potatoes and didn't peel them.

What I'll do differently next time:
Nothing.

Verdict:
Okay, seriously, new favorite stew recipe! I have made stew beef before, and pot roast, and more pot roast, and I've always felt like there was something missing from these recipes. This was a big hit with all four members of the family and boy, did it go great with my new crescent roll recipe! Sorry for the bad picture, it doesn't do it justice - I promise!

No comments: