Thursday, March 15, 2012

Old-Fashioned Jelly Roll

From: An old recipe e-newsletter

Ingredients:
4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup cake flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
8-10 oz raspberry jelly

Beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored, keeping the bowl in a pan of hot water. Beat in sugar gradually and remove from hot water. Add rind and juice. Fold in dry ingredients. Have a jellyroll pan lined with waxed paper ready. Pour in batter and spread to fit. Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a dish towel coated with powdered sugar. Peel off the wax paper and trim edges of cake. Roll hot cake up in towel keeping the towel inside as you roll. Let cool. Carefully unroll cake. Spread with jelly and reroll without towel. Place on a platter and sprinkle with powdered sugar.



What I did differently from the recipe:
I used a triple berry preserve instead of just raspberry.

What I'll do differently next time:
Nothing.

Verdict:
Neutral. Hunter (my 17-month old) ate almost an entire half by himself, so obviously he loved it. I thought it was fine, but it was a lot thinner and not as moist as some other rolls I've made, like the pumpkin one especially. I probably won't make it again, but it wasn't terrible.






No comments: