Thursday, March 22, 2012

Butter Crescent Rolls

From: Southern Living

Ingredients:
2 1/4-oz envelopes active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, softened

Combine yeast and warm water in a 2-cup liquid measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes. Combine yeast mixture, sugar, and next 3 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; add 2 cups flour, stirring well. Gradually stir in remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead 3 or 4 times. Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down, and divide into thirds; shape each portion into a ball. Roll each ball into a 12-inch circle on a floured surface; spread with softened butter. Cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up each wedge, starting with wide end; place rolls, point side down, on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 20 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes or until golden. Brush the rolls with additional melted butter, if desired.


What I did differently from the recipe:
I did use bread machine yeast (quick-rise) so feel free to substitute that if you like!

What I'll do differently next time:
Nothing.

Verdict:
Oh man, thumbs up!! I make crescent rolls in the bread machine frequently but I've had this recipe in my "queue" for ages and I just wanted to try it. Honestly, I probably won't use my bread machine recipe ever again. These were SO. GOOD. I know they don't look professional but they were big and thick and YUMMY! I barely snapped this picture of the three remaining (from the 15 or so I'd made so far!) before my hubby gobbled them down! Seriously great recipe and easy enough for anyone to do!



No comments: