Monday, September 5, 2011

Crescent Rolls

From: Bread Maker's Cookbook

Ingredients:
3/4 cup + 3 Tbsp water, 80 degrees
3 cups bread flour
2 Tbsp dry milk
3 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter, cut into 6 pieces
2 tsp active dry yeast or 1 1/2 tsp fast rise yeast


Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer (usually liquid first, then dry ingredients, then butter around the sides, and yeast in a well in the middle). Cook on your bread machine's dough cycle. When it's done, pull it out and let it rest on a floured surface for 15 minutes.

Divide dough into four equal pieces. Roll each piece into a circle 1/4-inch thick. Cut each circle into 6 pie shaped wedges. Roll each wedge from wide end to narrow tip. Curve ends to form crescent. Place on greased cookie sheets about 1 inch apart. Cover and let rise until double in size, about 45 minutes to one hour. Brush with butter and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

What I did differently from this recipe:
Well, first of all I am not gifted enough to know how to "curve ends to form crescent", but I am gifted enough to realize that does not affect the taste! So I didn't do that!

What I'll do differently next time:
I used yeast that expired about a month ago. I've been using it and it was fine, but for the dough, I think I should have used new yeast. The rolls didn't quite rise as high as I'd like them too, but they were still delicious.

Verdict:
Thumbs up! See ya later, Pillsbury! I thought these were great, and between myself and Brianna (2 years old) we ate probably 7 or 8, plus a couple of dinner rolls that I made just for funsies. What can I say, we like bread! I'll definitely be making these again! Oh yes, and I do realize they don't exactly look like Pillsbury, but you know what... that's okay!

No comments: