Saturday, March 17, 2012

Salted Caramel Lava Cake

From: Here

Ingredients:
4 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate squares
4 oz butter (1 stick)
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Butter for greasing ramekins
6-8 caramel squares
Sea salt or rock salt
Cocoa powder for dusting ramekins (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter the ramekins. Dust with cocoa powder (optional). Cut each caramel square into a few smaller pieces and press some salt onto them and set aside. If you leave them whole they might not melt all the way through.
Microwave the chocolate squares and butter for one minute in a large bowl. The chocolate will not have completely melted at this point. Whisk till the chocolate and butter combine.
Add the sugar and mix it in.
Whisk in the eggs and incorporate.
Stir in the flour. Work the flour in gently to combine. 
Divide batter among the 4 ramekins.
Gently push the salted caramel bits into the batter covering them.
Place ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake between 10-14 minutes. The cake is ready when it has a domed appearance, the center is a little moist and the edges of the cake, dry and firm.                                                                                                                                                                                                        Remove from the oven, insert a knife and go around the cake, invert onto serving plates, garnish with salt and serve. 



 I do realize that looks like egg yolk inside the chocolate... it's not.


What I did differently from the recipe:
Nothing. I have ramekins from a creme brulee kit so I was able to use those.

What I'll do differently next time:
I'm not sure...

Verdict:
Actually... neutral. I'm not a huge fan of baking chocolate - it's never quite sweet enough for me. I didn't put in enough caramel for my tastes (I'm addicted to caramel) so I would have liked more of that. Have you ever had one of the Betty Crocker Warm Delights? That's the taste I was expecting. If you don't eat these right away the caramel starts to harden and then it's all in your teeth and everything... it just didn't reach my expectations. But hey, if you try it and love it will you let me know? Maybe I can tweak this into a recipe I will love! :)













No comments: