Friday, May 16, 2014

Holiday Tortellini Soup

From: Taste of Home

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 oz. bacon or pancetta, finely diced (I used turkey bacon) 
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (49 1/2 oz) chicken broth
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 package (9 oz) cheese tortellini
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
8 oz fresh spinach, rinsed, stemmed and chopped (I used canned)
salt and pepper (I left out)
Parmesan cheese (for topping)

Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pancetta. Cook until crisp. Add onion; cook 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, cook 1 more minute. Add broth and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain. Add cooked tortellini to soup mixture. Stir in tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook just until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cheese.


Verdict:
Thumbs up! I'm sure I've made similar recipes before but I really liked this one. Very filling and hearty. Great flavors. And simple! So I would definitely make this again in the future.

Nutrition information: (based on my ingredients; per cup)
Calories: 159
Carbs: 20g
Fat: 6g
Protein: 6g

No comments: