Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cream of Corn Soup

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups cream-style canned corn or 2 1/2 cups corn, cut from the ear and simmered until tender in 1 cup milk
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 sliced medium-sized onion
3 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
white pepper
nutmeg
3 cups milk



Melt butter. Simmer onions in it until translucent.


Stir in flour, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in corn and milk. Heat thoroughly. Serve with chopped parsley or chives.


What I did differently from the recipe:
I used more onion than I was supposed to. My soup is more like "Cream of Onion and a Bit of Corn Soup". I didn't use any white pepper. I only used 2 cups of milk instead of 3.

What I'll do differently next time:
More corn, less onion.

Verdict:
Simple, and good. A classic recipe. But nothing fancy. I would recommend eating this with crackers and cheese to spice it up a bit. I almost threw some green beans in there as well, which would have added a good flavor. If you throw in a bag of mixed veggies, I think that would taste good. This recipe isn't anything spectacular, but it was definitely thrifty. I bet the whole thing didn't cost me $4. The corn was $0.57, the onion was $0.49, and the amount of milk I used was around $0.50. Definitely a penny-pincher's delight!

No comments: