Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Honey Whole Wheat Crockpot Bread

From: Moms By Heart

Ingredients:
  • 2 c. warm (not hot) milk (whole or 2%)
  • 2 Tbs canola oil
  • ¼ c. honey
  • ¾ tsp. salt
  • 1 pkg. active dry yeast
  • 3 c. whole wheat flour, divided
  • ¾ to 1 c. all-purpose flour, divided.
  1. Spray with nonstick cooking spray a 1 quart casserole, souffle, or other high-sided baking dish that will fit down in your crock pot. (The blog quotes: "I have found that the new glass Ziploc containers that are loaf pan size and shape are ideal. They don’t have the “handles” on the ends, which makes it fit in the pot.")
  2. In an electric mixer (or stand mixer) combine milk, oil, honey, salt, yeast, 1½ cups wheat flour and ½ cup all-purpose flour. Mix at medium low speed for 2 minutes.
  3. Gradually add remaining wheat flour and ¼ cup to ½ cup all purpose flour. Mix until completely combined. Unlike other bread recipes, this dough should remain sticky.
  4. Transfer to prepared pan and add pan to slow cooker.
  5. Cook on high for 3 hours.
  6. Remove from slow cooker and let stand for 5 minutes before cooling on wire rack.


Verdict:
I liked this bread - my kids really liked it, surprisingly. Of course, not many things taste better than warm bread fresh from the oven smothered in butter. I will say that I'm not the biggest fan of whole wheat bread. This bread, texturally, was great. Moist and soft in the middle, crunchy crust on the top. I think next time I would do a little more white flour and a little less wheat.

I will point out that I couldn't do mine totally in the crockpot. I didn't have a single bread pan that would fit in my crockpot (the handles were the issue). I bought one from Walmart that I thought would fit in there (it cost less than $1) and it still didn't fit perfectly, but I was able to close the lid. I ended up cooking it in the crockpot for about 2 hours and then I cooked it in the oven at 300 degrees for about 45-50 more minutes. Thankfully, this bread seems to be very forgiving! 

No comments: