Friday, October 18, 2013

Egg in a Red Pepper

From: Not Martha

Ingredients:
1 red bell pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 large eggs
Salt and pepper
1 Tbsp grated parmesan
4 slices crusty bread, toasted

Remove seeds from pepper and 1/2-inch thick rings. It’s not totally important that all the rings be the same thickness.

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a frying pan or skillet.

Place peppers in olive oil.

Then one-by-one, crack an egg into a small dish and pour it into the pepper.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper and let fry for about 3 minutes.

Some of the egg may leak out from under the pepper, but for the most part, you should be OK.

Once eggs are mostly set, flip the entire pepper over. This has to be a quick movement, or else you risk the egg/pepper falling apart.

After you flip all of the peppers, sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Cook for one minute.

And place pepper egg on a piece of toast.






Verdict:
Thumbs up! What a yummy, light(ish) breakfast! I meant to blog about this back when red peppers were really in season but I got way behind on blogging. This is such a yummy breakfast. The crunchiness of the red pepper is perfect with the egg. The instructions I posted are from the Not Martha blog, so I tweaked a little. I didn't put them on toast at all, although I do think that would be delicious. And instead of using parmesan cheese, I used cheddar. It was divine. The key to making it pretty (not like it really matters) is to gently pour the egg into the pepper. If you dump the whole egg, it will spread out a lot. And trust me, that does not affect the flavor, just the attractiveness! I definitely recommend this easy recipe.

No comments: