Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Asian Sugar Snap Peas

From: Here

Ingredients:
1 lb sugar snap peas, trimmed
3 Tbsp garlic flavored olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 tsp sesame oil
2 drops chili oil
1/4 tsp packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Preheat the oven broiler, and move oven rack into the top position.  Place the snap peas onto a baking pan, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Spread the snap peas out into a single layer. Broil the snap peas in the preheated oven until tender, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, chili oil, brown sugar, and sesame seeds in a large bowl. When the snap peas come out of the oven, toss them immediately with the sauce. 

What I did differently from the recipe:
I just got a very small amount of snap peas from our food co-op box last week. We had stir-fry for dinner one night, so I wanted to use these snap peas before they went bad. I adjusted all the quantities of ingredients based on how many peas I had. I didn't have garlic flavored olive oil (and I've never even heard of that!) so I put in olive oil and juice from minced garlic. I left out the chili oil because I don't have that on hand, and I left out the sesame seeds because I don't really enjoy too much of the sesame flavor.

Verdict:
Thumbs up!! The stir-fry was delicious and being able to heap these onto my plate just made it even better. Stephen didn't like the flavor because of the sesame oil - if you don't like peanut butter you won't like these! But I thought it was a delicious addition to the meal!!
 

No comments: