Friday, January 13, 2012

Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings

From: Here

Ingredients:
3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
2 (10 oz) cans crescent rolls
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon (for sprinkling)
1 (12 oz) can of Mountain Dew

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x13 dish and set it aside. Peel, core and slice apples. Unroll crescent rolls. Take one crescent roll and place one piece of apple at the bottom of the triangle. Roll up, enclosing the sides. Make sure the apple is completely sealed and enclosed. Continue doing this - if your apple slices are small, put a couple in. If your slices are too large you can cut them to size. Place dumplings in your pan. Make your sauce by combining butter, sugars, and vanilla in a saucepan on medium-high heat. Bring to a slight boil. Pour sauce over dumplings. Add Mountain Dew to the sides. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes.


What I did differently about this recipe:
I ended up only needing about 1 1/2 apples - I don't know if they were just really large or if my crescent rolls were on the small side because they were the Walmart brand. Also, I only used about half a can of Mountain Dew in the end because it seemed like there was a lot of liquid.

What I'll do differently next time:
Just the same things I did this time.

Verdict:
BIG thumbs up! We have a friend at church that makes apple dumplings all the time and his are the absolute best. So for me to say that I think these outshine his recipe is huge. Although there seemed to be a lot of liquid the dumplings were just crisp enough and not soggy, which is what I was afraid of. Not too sweet so I was able to have three and never heard any complaints from my sensitive teeth. :) I will definitely be making these again in the future!!

No comments: