Friday, January 20, 2012

Hearty Chicken and Noodle Casserole

From: Good Housekeeping

Ingredients:
1 can Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 cups medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Stir soup, milk, black pepper, grated Parmesan cheese, vegetables, chicken and noodles in 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until hot. Stir. Top with cheddar cheese.

What I did differently from the recipe:
Stephen doesn't like cream of mushroom, so I usually substitute cream of chicken. I didn't actually have cream of chicken soup on hand, so I made some. Also, I didn't cook the noodles before putting them in with everything else. There was enough liquid, I felt, to cook them in the oven instead of doing it first. They did cook all the way through.

Verdict:
Well, I would give this recipe a thumbs down. But Stephen and Brianna (2 years old) gave it a thumbs up. It surprises me because Stephen really doesn't like to stray from foods he knows! I did not like the Parmesan flavor - I felt it was very strong. If it weren't for that I think I would like this recipe, but I have so many similar recipes to this that we do all like, it's not worth trying to figure out how to tweak this recipe. Like I said, half my family did enjoy it, so it still might be something you want to try for your family! 

No comments: