Monday, May 10, 2010

Potluck Beans

From: This awesome website

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground meat, browned and drained
1 pound smoked bacon, browned, drained, and diced
1 medium onion, diced and browned
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 (30-ounce) can Pork n' Beans
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can butter beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon liquid smoke

In a skillet, brown the hamburger, bacon and onion. You can do it together or separately. While they are browning, add the rest of the ingredients into the slow cooker. Don't stir too much or the beans will fall apart. Drain the meats well and dump into the slow cooker. Use a large spoon to gingerly fold in the hot ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. If you are making the full amount of this recipe, you should use a 6-quart or larger crockpot.

Note: Did not get my own picture because it was eaten fairly quickly. This picture from Stephanie's website will have to do!



What I did differently from the recipe:
I used venison instead of beef, turkey bacon instead of regular bacon, and I halved the recipe. For that reason, I only cooked it about 6-7 hours on low.

What I'll do differently next time:
The same things, most likely. Although I might make a full batch and freeze half. If you freeze it, pull them out the night before eating and thaw in the fridge, then reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.

Verdict:
Thumbs up! Amazing that such a small amount of brown sugar could really sweeten up this recipe! Supposedly this is a bean recipe for people who don't like beans (me). I say, Yes! I would willingly eat this anytime. It was also a nice cross between soup/stew/meal if you know what I mean. Very hearty!

No comments: