Monday, May 10, 2010

Garlic Knots

From: This website

Ingredients:
3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup warm water (70-90 degrees)
5 1/2 tsp olive oil, divided
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley


Whisk together flour, sugar and yeast in a small bowl. Whisk in salt last. Make a well in the center and pour in water. Stir together to moisten the flour, just until dough begins to form, about 20 seconds.

Pour 4 tsp oil in a bowl. Place dough in and turn to coat. Cover tightly and rest on counter until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Place a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees at least 30 minutes before baking. Meanwhile, stir together 1/2 tsp olive oil, garlic and kosher salt in a large bowl. Set aside.

When the dough is ready, place it on a board and gently press into a rectangle. There will be leftover oil in the bowl that the dough was rising in. Spread that oil over a baking sheet. Spread half of the garlic mixture across the rectangle dough. Cut into 3/4" strips. Tie any type of knot and lay on baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Meanwhile, add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil and parsley to the garlic mixture. Stir.

When the garlic knots are done baking, toss in the garlic and parsley mixture and serve immediately.


What I did differently from this recipe:
Over the weekend, mom and I found yummy pizza dough at Trader Joe's for just $0.99/lb. That is what I used to make these. If you don't want to make your own dough, just use Pillsbury pizza crust. I promise they will still be delicious! I baked them on 355 degrees because that's what I was cooking lasagna on, and they only took about 14 minutes to cook, so if you must dabble with the temperature, feel free to do so.

What I'll do differently next time:
If I didn't have dough handy I would definitely make it. I think I'd also use more garlic - I only used about 2 cloves because I was scared of overdoing it. Then I ended up sprinkling garlic salt on top to make up for it. Although, admittedly, I am a garlic fanatic.

Verdict:
Thumbs up! Soooo easy and fast! And they smelled incredible while they were baking! Nothing like lasagna, garlic knots, salad and sweet tea to make your mouth water!!

No comments: