Monday, August 20, 2012

Crockpot Honey Bourbon Chicken

From: Here

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp cornstarch
6 tsp water
sesame seeds, for garnish

Place the chicken thighs in the crockpot and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides. In a medium-sized bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, oil, garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine well. Pour over the chicken in the crockpot. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours. When done, remove chicken from stock pot and cut into chunks. Prior to putting the chicken back in the stockpot, combine some cornstarch in water and whisk it into the crockpot to thicken up the sauce a bit. Throw the chicken back in and stir around to recoat the chicken in the sauce. Serve hot over a bed of white rice (optional) and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.


Verdict:
Thumbs up! Okay, blurriest picture ever - sorry about that. I loved this recipe. Crockpot? I have all the ingredients on hand? Everyone in my family eats it? You know that's a winning recipe. I loved the flavor of this sweet chicken, and I definitely loved it over rice. I didn't use as much honey as the recipe called for because that was going to leave me with hardly any honey in the pantry! So I added more ketchup and used less honey. I used chicken breasts instead of thighs because it's what I had on hand. Also, my hubby doesn't like onions so I used dried diced onions instead of slicing a fresh onion. After I cut up the chicken and put it back in the crockpot I just left it on "warm" while I cooked our side dishes. The chicken was falling apart after 3 1/2 hours so I knew it didn't need to cook anymore. Definitely recommend this recipe! 

No comments: