Saturday, June 30, 2012

Strawberry Cake Roll

 From: Here


Ingredients:
4 eggs
¾ cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon water
About 10 strawberries (add more to taste)
2 cups heavy cream


1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 17x11x1 inch pan and line with parchment paper.
2. Beat the eggs. Add the sugar while beating.
2. In a little bowl, sift the flour and the baking powder. Reserve.
3. After beating for 2-3 minutes, slowly add the flour and baking powder and mix with a spoon. When the batter is homogeneous, add the water. Combine slowly.
4. Pour the batter on the pan and spread evenly with a spatula.
5. Bake for about 10 minutes. Don’t over bake because it will be hard to roll.
6. While the cake is baking, whip the heavy cream. You can add sugar to taste, but it’s very good without it! Cut the strawberries into little pieces and mix with the heavy cream. Refrigerate.
7. Lay a waxed paper on your counter (or a clean kitchen towel). As soon as your cake is out of the oven take out the cake from the pan with the parchment paper, turn over on the waxed paper and remove the parchment paper, roll with the paper and let cool. 
8. When the cake is completely cool, unroll then spread the heavy cream with the strawberries on the cake. Roll again and you’re done!


Verdict:
Thumbs up!! I am starting to love cake rolls! This was super easy and very delicious! At first I thought it was a bit plain but within just a couple of bites it really grew on me! This cake lasted less than 12 hours after it was made, if that tells you anything.

I do recommend putting sugar in the whipping cream as you're making it. It just wasn't quite sweet enough on it's own, I thought. Also, in the original instructions you can see that she tells you to whip the cream, refrigerate it, and then you would end up putting it on the cake a couple of hours later. I didn't do that. I whipped it and then spread it on immediately. It still tasted the same, but I didn't give it time to thicken. I realized this later in the evening when I sliced a piece of cake and used some of my refrigerated leftover whipped cream. It was so much thicker than it had been earlier. As you can see I also topped mine with blueberries from our bushes! The mixture of strawberries and blueberries - delicious!

I definitely recommend this recipe to ANYONE. Totally yummy and I will certainly be making this again! By the way, I didn't use fresh strawberries. I had some frozen from last summer and used those. They were perfectly fine!

No comments: