Saturday, April 14, 2012

Super Simple Spaghetti Sauce

From: An old recipe newsletter I used to receive by email

Ingredients:
1 lb hamburger
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp of grated sea salt
1 tsp of sugar
2 tsp Italian spice blend
2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes or 4 cups of fresh tomatoes chopped
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 cup water or red wine
1 10 oz package spaghetti, cooked

In a soup pot or large saute pan add the oil, hamburger and onion on medium heat. Brown the burger and cook the onion. Break meat into bite-size chunks as it cooks. After meat is cooked add the garlic and stir. Add the salt, sugar, spices, tomatoes and tomato paste with one cup of water or wine. Heat until boiling and then turn it down to a simmer. Cook for about 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally to make sure sauce isn't sticking to the pan. If the sauce is getting too thick for your taste you can add some more water. When ready to serve, drain the cooked spaghetti. Put the noodles on a plate and top with sauce.

What I did differently from the recipe:
I felt like the sauce was good, but not enough flavor, so as it simmered I added more sugar (probably put closer to a tablespoon of sugar in there by the end), and I also added a bit more sea salt, some basil, some oregano and a bay leaf. I used tomatoes that I had canned last year which I think was close to 4 cups but I'm not sure.

What I'll do differently next time:
Not sure.

Verdict:
Thumbs up! Oh, this was delicious! I do feel like there is something else I could do to add more spice to this recipe but I'm not sure what. I would be perfectly content eating this again as is, but if I could get more of "something" to this sauce it would just add icing to the cake, so to speak! Any thoughts??

No comments: