Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chicken and Rice Soup

From: My Mom

Ingredients:
2-4 skinless chicken breasts
1 chicken bouillon cube
1/2 cup chopped celery, as well as a few minced leaves
1 medium onion, minced
1/4 cup chopped carrots
1 can chicken broth
1/2 cup rice
dash of garlic salt
dash of seasoned salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder

Place chicken, seasonings, and bouillon cube in saucepan with enough water to cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is done. Remove chicken, debone, and slice into small chunks. Return to broth. Add vegetables and chicken broth and as much water as needed to cover. Cook for 45 minutes to one hour. You can add more bouillon cubes and a hint of hot sauce for more flavor. About 15 minutes before ready to serve, add rice and water as needed. If you want a thicker soup, make a paste of 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch or flour and 1/2 cup of water. Stir the mixture until it has no lumps. Add gradually to the soup, stirring as you do so. Work up to the consistency you want.

What I did differently from the recipe:
I used boneless chicken breasts so I didn't have to debone them. I used just one bouillon cube but my mom uses more usually (2-3 I think). We both add more of all the vegetables than the recipe calls for.

What I'll do differently next time:
Nothing.

Verdict:
Thumbs up! I love this soup when Mom makes it so I had to snag the recipe from her. It's such a comfort food, so delicious, and really simple. Highly recommend!!

(No pictures - it gets gone too fast!)   

No comments: