Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sweet Potato Casserole

From: My mother-in-law gave me this recipe from Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

Ingredients:
CRUST:
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans preferred)
1/3 stick butter, melted

SWEET POTATO MIXTURE:
3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs well beaten
1 stick butter, melted

Combine brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter in mixing bowl. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs and butter in a mixing bowl in the order listed. Mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into buttered baking dish. Sprinkle the surface of the sweet potato mixture evenly with the crust mixture. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to set at least 30 minutes before serving.

No pictures - I was in too much of a hurry while cooking!

What I did differently from the recipe:
I didn't combine the nuts for the crust in the beginning. I knew some people wouldn't like the nuts, so instead I just sprinkled them on top of half of the finished casserole. I used about 4 medium-size sweet potatoes and it seemed to be just the right amount.

What I'll do differently next time:
Nothing.

Verdict:
Thumbs up! This was a very simple recipe and delicious! It's only slightly different from the recipe I made last Thanksgiving but more people asked for this recipe! Please do note the directions say to "sprinkle" the crust mix on top but it will be like a thick frosting so you will spread it over the sweet potato mixture.

No comments: