Sunday, December 19, 2010

Eggplant Parmesan

From: Taste of Home

Unfortunately, no pictures on this recipe!

Ingredients:
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cans (28 oz each), crushed tomatoes
1 cup pitted ripe olives, chopped
3 Tbsp capers, drained
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp pepper

Eggplant:
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs, beaten
3 cups dry bread crumbs
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp minced fresh oregano (1 tsp dried oregano)
4 small eggplants (about 1 lb each), peeled and cut lengthwise into slices
1 cup olive oil

Cheese:
2 eggs, beaten
2 cartons (15 oz each) ricotta cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp dried basil
1/2 tsp pepper
8 cups (32 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese

In a dutch oven over medium heat, cook garlic in oil for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, olives, basil, capers, pepper flakes and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 45-60 minutes or until thickened.

Meanwhile, for eggplant, place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic powder and oregano. Dip eggplant in the flour, eggs, then bread crumb mixture.

In a large skillet, cook eggplant in batches in oil for 5 minutes on each side or until tender. Drain on paper towels. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, basil and pepper.

In each of two greased 9x13 pans, layer 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce, eggplant slices, 1 cup ricotta mixture and 2 cups mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

What I did differently:
I left out the olives and capers because I don't particularly care for them. I would try them if someone else made this recipe but I didn't want to go buy something I'd have no need for later. I left out the pepper flakes simply because I didn't have any and didn't have time to buy them. (For sauce). I halved the recipe, although now I kind of wish I had just made two and frozen one.

What I'll do differently next time:
Probably make two at once.

Verdict:
Thumbs up! I saw these eggplants on clearance ($1.00 for approximately 3 lbs!) and just knew eggplant parmesan was in my future. It was so good. It was a bit time consuming because of frying the eggplant. You could definitely leave that out and just put the plain eggplant in (or sprinkle it with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder... etc) and it would still be delicious.

No comments: