Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Baked Bean Soup

From: Crockery Cooking cookbook

Ingredients:
1 (1 lb 12 oz) can baked beans
6 slices bacon, chopped
2 Tbsp bacon drippings
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
1 (1 lb) can stewed tomatoes
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp seasoned salt



Combine all ingredients in slow-cooking pot. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.


What I did differently from the recipe:
I used a little less bacon - 4 slices and a little less stewed tomatoes (14.5 oz can). Also, I didn't have any seasoned salt on hand so I mixed up my own recipe. Very easy. I'll throw that recipe in down at the bottom for you in case you want it.

What I'll do differently next time:
Nothing, except probably won't use 6 bacon slices the next time either.

Verdict:
Thumbs up! You can't get ANY easier than this, huh?? It is tangy and delicious. I'm not a huge fan of the bacon but it doesn't make it taste bad. This is a recipe I would not normally have tried but I marked it in this cookbook sometime in the past so I thought I may as well try it. Yum! Also, this recipe cost me under $3 to make because I just so happened to get bacon and stewed tomatoes on sale in the past couple of weeks. If I had paid full price I still think it would be under $5-6 which is still great. It will come up with about six servings if I quit eating it out of the slow cooker...

Printable version:

Ingredients:
1 (1 lb 12 oz) can baked beans
6 slices bacon, chopped
2 Tbsp bacon drippings
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
1 (1 lb) can stewed tomatoes
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp seasoned salt

Combine all ingredients in slow-cooking pot. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Seasoned Salt recipe: (unfortunately I don't measure anything but I would say unless I say otherwise it would probably be around a teaspoon I used)
salt (put more salt than everything else; maybe about 4 Tbsp)
paprika (put more paprika in than any other ingredient but salt; maybe around 2 tsp)
thyme
marjoram
garlic salt
dry mustard
onion powder
dill weed
celery salt

I put them all in my mortar and pestle and ground them together. You could blend it in a mini blender or food processor as well. Easy!!

1 comment:

Term Paper said...

Nice post. I really liked it.. Don't forget to update it regularly. I am looking for new updates dying to read more stuff from you.