Thursday, July 30, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes

Ingredients:
3 medium, firm green tomatoes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs or cornmeal
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper


Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt and pepper. Let tomato slices stand for 15 minutes.


Place flour, milk, eggs, and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes.


Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Dip tomato slices in milk, then flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs. In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 4-6 minutes on each side or until brown. As you cook the rest of the tomatoes, add olive oil as needed.


Season to taste with salt and pepper.

What I did differently from the recipe:
I only had two small tomatoes (thanks mom!) so I didn't measure anything. I just kind of dumped flour, milk and bread crumbs in separate bowls, and only used one egg. I didn't let the slices stand for 15 minutes (in the first step). Not sure if this would have changed the flavor.

What I'll do differently next time:
Nothing.

Verdict:
Delicious! I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes, but I am a huge fan of fried foods!! Seriously, these were really good. The tomatoes being cooked just squirt in your mouth, and the batter has such a good flavor. It was also really easy to make, with ingredients I had in the pantry.

No comments: