Saturday, November 24, 2012

Sweet and Sour Chicken

From: Made It. Ate It. Loved It.

Ingredients:
Chicken Breading:
3-5 chicken breast
salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup canola oil

Rinse chicken, trim off fat or extras and then cut into 1 inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken into cornstarch and coat all the way. Dip into eggs. Heat oil in large skillet. Cook chicken until browned. Place in baking dish. Three chicken breasts can be in a 9x9 dish  but five chicken breasts fit better in a 9x13 pan.

Sauce:
3/4 cups sugar
4 Tablespoons ketchup

1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Whisk until smooth. Then pour evenly over chicken. Turn chicken so the sauce gets on both sides and then put in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn chicken and then cook for 15 more minutes. 

2012-10-29 20.06.45


Verdict: Thumbs up!! Oh my goodness, sweet and sour chicken is one thing I can go crazy over at Chinese buffets. But now that I can make my own (and it tastes just as good!) I will eat more sushi and wontons at my next buffet!

Look - I have tried other varieties of sweet and sour chicken (Here and Here) but I will never make another kind again. I am obsessed with this recipe.

Also, the best part of this recipe! Only myself and Hunter really like the chicken with sauce. Stephen and Brianna would rather just have the chicken nuggets. So what I can do is go ahead and make the chicken nuggets - either using this recipe with the cornstarch, or using my faithful recipe I've used for years. Then I just set out 12-15 nuggets, spread this sauce over them and cook them for 10-15 minutes (even after I've already fried them in the skillet) just to let the sauce caramelize. Then two people can have regular chicken nuggets, and two can have the sweet and sour, and it doesn't take any extra time.

And the sauce is delicious over rice, too!

No comments: